Last weekend my mom helped me put together a window treatment for the in-progress downstairs bathroom. Since we have blinds on this window, any window treatment was purely for interior aesthetics. I also didn’t want anything that would cover up too much of the window and prevent the limited daylight from streaming in.
Nearly two months ago, I browsed around looking for an appropriate fabric to use. After ordering a few samples, I went with my original first choice, the Richloom Cevennes in the peacock color way. I got samples of both peacock and neutral. But I liked the brighter yellow, orange, and teal from the peacock.
I was thinking about a simple valance in a similar style to the one I threw up in the kitchen two years ago (dang, it’s been two years!?) I’ve never been 100% sold on the kitchen version because of the ribbons that hold it in place and the visible hems around the edges. But clearly, at this point I’m not very motivated to change it.
For this one, I wanted something more than just a flap of fabric, so I thought some roman shade style pleats would be nice, and still display the interesting floral print on the fabric.
So we started out by hemming a rectangle of fabric, about the same length of the window and a little wider. While my mom was sewing, I hung up a basic black curtain rod about 5 inches above the top of the window frame. I would have liked to hang it a little wider, but the left wall limited that.
We just left the top hem open on each end and wide enough to slip the rod right through. Isn’t this print so cool?
Then we took a stab at pinning up some big pleats and hung it up to see how it looked.
We were on the right track, but this was looking too long and covering up too much of the window. So we re-pinned it to measure about 20 inches top to bottom with three big pleats.
Now, I honestly can’t describe how my mom sewed these in place. I’m sure I could have rigged something up on my own, but it would have looked messier without her sewing skills. She basically just made a horizontal line of hem stitches on the underside of each pleat.
I’m really pleased with the outcome. It adds a little touch of color and texture to this tiny bathroom. The teal in the fabric isn’t the same as the teal on the walls, but they’re complimentary. And the yellow and orange bits give me something to play off of with the other accessories in the room.
You might also be able to notice from these pictures that I hung up a new extra-long shower curtain and a fresh white shower bar. The curtain is still all fold-wrinkled, but I don’t feel like taking it down to wash it yet.
This project was also pretty cheap. With shipping, my 1.5 yards of fabric came to $29.42, and the curtain rod was about $8. I can’t believe I’m finally making progress with this bathroom. Here’s where I stand:
Sand down upper walls and door/window frames Remove mirror and medicine cabinet and sand walls below Apply liquid de-glosser to all upper walls and ceiling Apply heavy-duty primer to upper walls and ceiling Paint ceiling white Paint upper walls w/ Sherwin Williams Toque White Paint door/window frame and mid-rail moulding w/ Valspar Ultra White Repair gaps in lower walls Paint lower walls w/ dark teal
- Cut and install replacement baseboard strip behind sink
- Paint new baseboards w/ Valspar Ultra White
- Buy/install new mirror
Buy/install new medicine cabinet or shelves Install new wooden shelf over the sink
- (Possibly) buy and install a new sink faucet
Make simple valance for window
- Find a properly-sized rug
Raise shower bar higher and buy extra-long curtain
- Replace light fixture